Starwood Preferred Guest has returned with another discount when buying points. In prior years, the discount used to be a standard 25%. Now that the programme is likely to be merged into Marriott Rewards in 2018, SPG has been selling points with ever larger discounts.
The current promotion involves a mystery bonus of up to 50%. The promotion runs until 31 December, 2016. You can access the promo here. The annual maximum is 30,000 points and accounts must be at least 14 days old to buy or receive gifted points.
The regular price of a Starpoint is 3.5 US cents each. Therefore, the net cost is:
- 25% discount – 2.63 cents
- 30% discount – 2.45 cents
- 35% discount – 2.28 cents
- 50% discount – 1.75 cents
I’m not sure what needs to be done to receive the 50% bonus. Both my active Platinum account and a dormant account received an offer of a 35% discount.
Even if you aren’t usually the type to buy points – ideally you’d earn them for free from business travel or credit card spend – but Starwood Preferred Guest (and now Marriott Rewards) offer a couple of very attractive redemption options that require a large number of points. I’ve written about them previously.
- Marriott Rewards Travel Packages. Now that Starpoints can be converted on a 1:3 basis to Marriott points, you can earn 120,000 miles and 7 nights at a Marriott Category 1-5 hotel in exchange for 90,000 Starpoints
- SPG Nights & Flights. With 60,000 Starpoints you can receive 5 free nights at a Category 3 hotel and 50,000 miles. For 70,000 Starpoints, those 5 free nights can be at a Category 4 hotel.
So, buying 30,000 Starpoints at an attractive price can get you well on your way to one of these great value awards…